Monday, June 7, 2010

New Release From Major Labels


Talk about a "blast from the past". Many years ago in Syracuse NY I spent numerous hours, significant money, and many brain cells going from one bar to another to hear the best powerpop bands the town had to offer. This guy, "Ducky" Carlisle seemed to show up a lot. Bands like The Flashcubes, Screen Test, and The Most occupied my Saturday nights and turntable and "Ducky" seemed to somehow be involved with all of them as a producer or other.

So I was quite surprised when I stumbled upon the name Ducky Carlise recently. This is not the first time I "stumbled" upon Ducky by the way, as I believe I once threw up on his shoes after a Most show in 1979...I doubt he'll ever read this, so I'm safe. Anyway, I digress...It appears he has teamed up with a couple of his powerpop cohorts to produce a new record...umm, CD (there's the age giveaway). "Aquavia" is the most fun I've had listening to a CD in quite a while. What a blast! I've only had the opportunity to listen to it once, but on first impression it was highly enjoyable. These guys have obviously been listening to a lot of Beatles and ELO records, but they don't sound overly derivative. I'll write more on this disc as I listen to it again...and again. I encourage you to buy it and help Ducky get a new pair of shoes. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment