Saturday, April 16, 2011

Smithereens 2011


Sometimes you can come home. I spent my formative years as a New Jerey native, listening to the best the state had
to offer. Brought up on Sinatra and surrounded by Springsteen fans, I was a restless teen in need of something new.
A chance stop at the Court Tavern in New Brunswick introduced me to a new, local band called The Smithereens. That
night some 30 years ago changed my life forever.

So I was thrilled to hear that there would be a new Smithereens "record" after 12 years (there I go again, showing my age). The classic Smithereens records, Especially for You, Green Thoughts, and "11", changed the way I thought about music, how much of it I consumed, and how much it consumed me. To say that I was looking forward to hearing the first new material from Pat DiNizio and company in a long time is an understatement.

Produced by Don Dixon right here in my NC backyard, my expectations were raised even higher. Dixon had produced the best of their past releases as well as outstanding recordings by REM, another of my faves. And his production work here is outstanding as usual.

The "single" (if there is such a thing anymore), "Sorry" is drawn from a familiar Smithereens template. Like most of the songs in the disc, it's the hook-filled, chord driven powerpop fare we've come to expect from these guys. "One Look At You" really sticks in your head. You'll find yourself humming this tune after just a listen or two. Jim Babjak's guitar work is still powerpop's best, imo, Diken great as well. Still, after repeated listenings I couldn't help feeling like something was missing though. Bassist Severo “The Thrilla” Jornacion is fine, but there were no killer "Girl Like You" or "Behind The Wall Of Sleep" like cuts on the record. Perhaps Mike Mesaros' contributions were bigger than originally thought. I dunno.

The middle of the record has some filler, but songs like "Keep On Running", "Nobody Lives Forever", and "All The Same" make this a satisfying record nonetheless.

It's that classic Smithereens sound, and its good to hear again...even if there isn't a Smithereens classic here. Despite the absence of a classic, I find myself going back to it fairly often. Feels good...kinda like coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment