Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Jim Caroll, poet and creator of "Catholic Boy" Dies

Jim Carroll, the poet and punk rocker in the outlaw tradition of Rimbaud and Burroughs who chronicled his wild youth in “The Basketball Diaries,” died on Friday at his home in Manhattan. He was 60.

I've read two of Jim Carroll's books, "The Basketball Diaries" and "Living At The Movies". I highly recommend them both. "The Basketball Diaries" was exactly that, a diary of his high school years. "Living At The Movies" is a great collection of his early poetry.

One of the most memorable rock shows I ever saw was back in 1982 I believe, when I saw Jim Carroll open for The Boomtown Rats. The Rats were great, but Carroll was extraordinary. He had an incredible stage presence and from the moment he took the stage you knew you were experiencing something really special.

Bye Jim. We'll miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment